Mold usually grows when five factors—food source, darkness, warmth, oxygen, and moisture—are present. As such, the most susceptible areas for mold infestation in a home are the basement, the attic, the bathroom, crawlspaces, and wall interiors, because these regions are where the aforementioned factors often convene. When your home is infested by mold that developed from water damage such as sudden leakage, flood, or overflow from plumbing, that growth needs to be removed right away.
Is your mold problem serious?
Mold may look disgusting, but it’s often not as bad as it looks. For example, a small amount of mold in your shower or basement is not a serious issue. You can get rid of it by rubbing a mixture of baking soda and distilled vinegar on it. Leave it to soak for a few minutes then wipe it away. There are also mold cleaning products you can buy at any home improvement store for any minor mold problems you may have.
How to tell if you have a major mold problem?
If you have a large mold infestation in your home, however, your nose is the most accurate and inexpensive tool you can use. Mold lets off a musty odor, and chances are, you’ll be able to identify that distinctive odor that comes from moldy walls, carpeting, and other affected objects. If you can smell mold in various areas of your home, then that’s a sign you have a very serious mold infestation.
Seeking the help of a professional
A serious mold problem calls for the help of Playa del Rey and Santa Monica water damage professionals. They can help you identify the type of mold and tell you what you can do to prevent it from growing again. They can also tell you if a mold is toxic or not.
It doesn’t happen often, but if you’ve got toxic black mold, then your problem is very dangerous. Don’t try to take care of toxic mold on your own—it’s going to take more than vinegar and baking soda to get rid of that. Santa Monica and Playa del Rey water damage professionals can evaluate the degree of the infestation and let you know if you and your family need to vacate the premises until the mold colonies are completely removed.
(Source: Mold: The Common Toxin That Can Be FAR More Damaging Than Pesticides and Heavy Metals, Mercola.com)